Potato Plank Bruschetta
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This prize-winning recipe for Potato Plank Bruschetta features easy-on-the-waistline-and-wallets Idaho potatoes. As a novel appetizer or side dish, this twist on traditional bruschetta will make for memorable entertaining.
What You'll Need
- 4 Idaho Russet potatoes (about 6 ounces each)
- 1 1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons canola oil, divided
- 1 (16-ounce) can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup prepared basil pesto
- 1 tomato, diced
- 8 pitted kalamata olives, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 ounces (1/3 cup) crumbled reduced-fat or regular feta cheese
What to Do
Slightly trim opposite sides of each potato, then cut each potato lengthwise into 4 slices, creating four ovals or “planks.”
In a large pot, bring water and salt to a boil. Add potatoes and return to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove potatoes to a paper towel-lined platter.
In a large nonstick skillet over medium heat, heat 1 teaspoon oil. Cook half the potato slices 3 to 5 minutes per side, or until light golden; set aside on serving platter. Repeat with remaining oil and potatoes.
- In a small bowl, roughly mash beans with a fork. Add pesto and stir until well blended. Spread equal amounts of pesto mixture on top of each potato slice, then sprinkle evenly with diced tomato, chopped olives, and feta cheese.
These can be served at room temperature as an appetizer, or warmed briefly in the oven and served as a side dish (perfect with roasted or grilled entrees). You can also double the serving size and serve them as a meatless main dish. The potatoes can even be cooked in advance and assembled just before serving.
- If you liked this recipe, be sure to check out all of our cheesy favorites in The Cheese Lover's eCookbook: 34 Easy Recipes with Cheese.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We're so crazy about carrots we like to use 'em in everything from soups to desserts. This recipe for Crazy Carrot Pancakes is a bit unexpected, but a lot welcomed, 'cause it's crazy easy, crazy good, and there's not a person who tries 'em who isn't crazy about 'em afterwards!