Ben's Chili Dog
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Ben's Chili Bowl has been a landmark restaurant in Washington D.C. since 1958. The restaurant first became famous for its homemade chili dogs. After getting tasting one, we knew we had to recreate this chili in our Test Kitchen. Our recipe for Ben's Chili Dog is the next best thing to the real version, and your family is going to devour it.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound ground chuck beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 hot dogs
- 6 hot dog rolls
What to Do
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook beef, onion, chili powder, mustard, cumin, garlic powder, and salt 8 minutes, or until beef is browned, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste, flour, and vinegar; mix well. Add broth and cook 20 minutes, or until mixture has thickened.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet or griddle pan over medium heat, melt butter; cook hot dogs 5 to 8 minutes, or until heated through. Place hot dogs on rolls, top with chili sauce, and serve.
Garnish with mustard and chopped onion for that authentic Ben's Chili Dog taste.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 502
- Calories from Fat 297
- Total Fat 33g 51 %
- Saturated Fat 13g 66 %
- Trans Fat 1.0g 0 %
- Protein 23g 47 %
- Cholesterol 84mg 28 %
- Sodium 1,256mg 52 %
- Total Carbohydrates 28g 9 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.6g 10 %
- Sugars 5.0g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Are you looking for the perfect side dish to pair with your favorite pot roast or German sausages? Try our Old-Fashioned German Stuffing! This hot and hearty stuffing is loaded with fresh sauerkraut, crumbled bacon, and rye bread, so you know it's got an authentic taste!