Country-Bumpkin Fried Steak
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Country-Bumpkin Fried Steak is a down-home old-fashioned favorite in the South, Midwest, and Southwest. No matter where you live, this easy skillet meal has an extra-special country-fried topping that's sure to win raves at your dinner table!
What You'll Need:
- 4 beef cubed steaks (1-1/4 pounds total), pounded to 1/4-inch thickness
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk
What To Do:
- Season steaks with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; set aside.
- Place buttermilk in a shallow dish. Place 3/4 cup cornmeal in another shallow dish. Dip steaks in buttermilk then in cornmeal, coating completely.
- In a large deep skillet, heat shortening over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add steaks and cook 3 to 4 minutes per side, or until cooked through and coating is golden. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and cover to keep warm.
- Add 3 tablespoons flour, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes, or until flour is browned, stirring constantly. Add milk and stir until gravy thickens. Serve steaks topped with gravy.
Want even more "Quick & Easy" dinner recipes? Check out our free eCookbook, Fuss-Free Meals: 35 Simple Skillet Recipes and One-Pot Recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 635
- Calories from Fat 351
- Total Fat 39g 60 %
- Saturated Fat 16g 80 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 33g 66 %
- Cholesterol 106mg 35 %
- Sodium 757mg 32 %
- Total Carbohydrates 36g 12 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9 %
- Sugars 6.9g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This vegetable side dish is a must-have, especially during the fall season. Our Lentil and Vegetable Medley features a delicious combo of roasted sweet potatoes, sliced Brussels sprouts, hearty lentils, and more. To make it even more flavorful we toss all of these tasty ingredients with some balsamic vinegar. You'll love this!