Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 1 dozen
- 5 Min
- COOK TIME
- 12 Min
Incredibly light and fluffy, Old-Fashioned Buttermilk Biscuits will simply melt in your mouth, just like Grandma's biscuits always did!
What You'll Need
- 4 cups self-rising flour, plus more for rolling out
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 cups buttermilk
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and sugar; mix well. Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut shortening into flour mixture until crumbly. Add buttermilk and stir just until a soft dough forms.
- Lightly flour a flat surface; using a rolling pin, roll out dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch biscuit or cookie cutter, cut into round biscuits and place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake 12 to 14 minutes, or until light golden. Serve warm, or remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Serve these with a little butter for the perfect addition to breakfast...or any meal, for that matter!
Looking for more recipes with buttermilk? Our Best Buttermilk Recipes: 12 Recipes with Buttermilk can help you!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We've got a delicious and guilt-free way to enjoy apple coffee cake! This recipe comes from our new diabetic-friendly cookbook, Guilt-Free Comfort Favorites. Don't worry, we're not sacrificing any of the taste. In fact, just one bite, and you're going to be hooked! Don't be surprised when family and neighbors are lining up outside your kitchen for a taste of our Guilt-Free Apple Lovers' Coffee Cake!