We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This Americana classic first made its way across the South before making its way across the country. Once you give this Spoon Bread a try, we're sure it will make its way around your circle of friends and family, too.
What You'll Need
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 5 eggs
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, combine milk and water; simmer until hot, stirring occasionally.
- Add cornmeal, butter, sugar, and salt; stir 1 to 2 minutes or until mixture is thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs and baking powder until very light and fluffy. Stir in cornmeal mixture; mix well then spoon into baking dish.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until top is golden. Serve hot.
Courtesy of Christiana Campbell's Tavern, Colonial Williamsburg.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 9
- Calories 164
- Calories from Fat 63
- Total Fat 7.0g 11 %
- Saturated Fat 3.3g 16 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 7.0g 14 %
- Cholesterol 114mg 38 %
- Sodium 828mg 34 %
- Total Carbohydrates 19g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 5 %
- Sugars 4.3g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you're tired of serving the same ol' side dishes every fall, then you've got to give our Butternut Squash Fritters a try. Fried until golden and crispy, there's no way anyone can resist having one...or two. And they're even better if you drizzle a little syrup over them!