Boston Cream Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 30 Min
Did you know that traditional Boston Cream Pie really isn't a pie at all? It's a decadent round layer cake with a custard filling and chocolate topping that you can make as easily as any bake shop.
What You'll Need
- 1 (17 -ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 1 (4-serving-size) package instant vanilla pudding and pie filling
- 1 cup milk
- CHOCOLATE GLAZE
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/2 ounce (1/2 square) unsweetened chocolate
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
Bake cake batter according to package directions for two 8-inch round cake pans; let cool. Reserve 1 cake layer for later use (see Note). Slice remaining cake layer in half horizontally and place bottom half cut-side up on a serving plate.
In a medium bowl, whisk together pudding mix and milk until thick and smooth; spread over bottom cake layer. Place remaining half cake layer cut-side down over pudding. Chill while preparing Chocolate Glaze.
In a small saucepan over low heat, combine sugar, cornstarch, water, and chocolate; cook until chocolate is melted and mixture is thick and smooth, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla. Allow to cool slightly, then spread over top of cake.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving, or until filling and glaze are set.
Wrap the extra cake layer well and freeze for a later use.