Chocolate Groom's Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The tradition of a groom's cake began in Victorian England then made its way to the U.S., where it's a popular cake at many weddings. Our decadent Chocolate Groom's Cake recipe will make any newlywed couple feel special.
What You'll Need
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
FROSTING (see Notes):
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 2 (9-inch) baking pans with cooking spray and dust with flour.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; stir in water and cocoa powder. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl; allow to cool.
- In a medium bowl, combine raisins, dried cranberries, and 1 teaspoon flour; toss until evenly coated then set aside.
- Beat remaining cake ingredients, including 2 cups flour, into chocolate mixture. Gently fold in dried fruit then pour into baking pans.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool 10 minutes then remove from pans to wire rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, beat all frosting ingredients until smooth. Place 1 cake layer on plate and frost top only. Place remaining cake layer on top then frost entire cake.
- You can always substitute canned chocolate butter cream frosting for the homemade to make it a little easier.
- For an extra fancy touch, garnish this with shaved chocolate.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
While we love the hearty, warm-ya-up penne pasta recipes, sometimes, when the weather is warming up, we want to go lighter and brighter. That's what inspired our easy-to-make Pasta Penne Toss! It's a fresh-tasting, one-pot pasta dish that comes together with Kalamata olives and chunked up tomatoes. Plus, since it cooks up in no time, it's the perfect weeknight meal for the family!