Easy King Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Have you had this tri-colored Mardi Gras dessert? Our Easy King Cake is a super shortcut way of making a traditional Mardi Gras King Cake. It's definitely a cake worth celebrating!
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 gumdrop, any flavor (see Notes)
- 1 (16.5-ounce) package yellow cake mix, batter prepared according to package directions
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar, divided
- Red, blue, yellow and green food color
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Add lemon peel, cinnamon, nutmeg, and gumdrop to cake batter and bake according to package directions. Cool completely on wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, lemon juice, and water until mixture forms a creamy glaze. Spread glaze over top of cooled cake.
- Place 1 tablespoon granulated sugar into each of 3 small resealable plastic bags. Add 1 drop red and 1 drop blue food color to one bag to create purple sugar; mix well. Add 2 drops yellow food color to another bag; mix well. Add 2 drops green food color to remaining bag; mix well. Sprinkle colored sugars over glaze to decorate cake, as desired, for Mardi Gras or any other occasion (see Notes).
- Instead of baking a toy king into this traditional Mardi Gras dessert, we suggest a gumdrop, since it's edible. The Mardi Gras tradition is that the person who gets the king (or, in this case, the gumdrop) in their piece of cake is supposed to host the next year's Mardi Gras party.
- You'll often find King Cake as a braided, more yeasty type of cake. Ours is a simplified version, so it's more cakey and isn't braided, but it still has the traditional colors decorating the top. And what do they signify? Purple stands for Justice, green is for Faith, and gold is for Power! You see, King Cake is no ordinary cake!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've never heard of toad-in-the-hole, well, let us enlighten you! It's a recipe that is perfect for breakfast, dinner, or even brinner -- that's breakfast for dinner! Our Sheet Pan Toad-in-the-Hole comes together with all the flavors you love, without any of the mess of a traditional big breakfast. Once you try it, you're gonna wonder how you lived without it!