German Wave Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr 30 Min
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
Donauwellen is a classic German dessert that's often called the "German Wave Cake." That's because the layers in this cake look like the waves of the Danube river. Our version starts off with a box of cake mix, to make it really easy, and features all of the classic flavors, including chocolate, vanilla, cherries, and pudding.
What You'll Need:
- 1 (15-1/4-ounce) package vanilla cake mix
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can dark pitted cherries, drained well
- 2 (4-serving size) packages cook and serve vanilla pudding mix
- 3 cups milk
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 (16-ounce) can chocolate frosting
What To Do:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9- x 13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Prepare batter according to package directions. Place half the batter in a medium bowl and add cocoa powder; mix well. Pour vanilla batter into baking dish, then slowly pour chocolate batter over vanilla batter, covering entire surface. Place cherries on top of batter and press down into batter.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine pudding mix and milk; bring to a boil and cook until thickened, whisking constantly. Pour pudding into a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, making sure to press plastic wrap directly onto pudding to prevent a coating from forming on top of pudding. Set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add butter to cooled pudding and mix well. Spread pudding evenly over cake and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Place frosting in a medium microwave-safe bowl and microwave 20 to 25 seconds, or just until frosting is pourable. Pour frosting evenly over pudding and using a knife or fork, make a wave design. Refrigerate 2 hours, or until ready to serve.
If you love our German Wave Cake, then you'll love this collection of Traditional German Recipes!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Calories 362
- Calories from Fat 135
- Total Fat 15g 23 %
- Saturated Fat 7.3g 37 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 3.2g 6 %
- Cholesterol 20mg 7 %
- Sodium 381mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 55g 18 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 6 %
- Sugars 41g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Tired of serving chicken breasts the same ol' way every time? If so, then you'll love this recipe for Cheesy Baked Chicken. These chicken breasts have a cracker crumb coating made from crushed cheese crackers and sesame seeds, so you can expect lots of crunch and flavor in every bite. Plus, this one is done in just about 30 minutes, which makes it great for busy weeknights!