Homestyle Chocolate Cake
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This decadent, easy-to-make chocolate cake beats store-bought cake hands down! What's the secret ingredient that gives it such a rich, to-die-for texture? You won't believe it, but it's mayonnaise, and it's probably in your fridge right now!
What You'll Need
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 9" x 13" baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and flour lightly.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, granulated sugar, baking soda, cocoa, mayonnaise, water, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract; blend with an electric beater on medium speed until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, beat the butter until creamy. Add the confectioners' sugar, milk, and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract; blend until smooth. Frost cooled cake.
Did you know? This recipe was one of best-loved recipes of 2012! Click here to find out what else made the list.
- Top it off just right with one of the recipes from our collection of Homemade Frosting Recipes: 14 Frosting Recipes for Cakes, Cupcakes, and More.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Calories 402
- Calories from Fat 117
- Total Fat 13g 20 %
- Saturated Fat 4.3g 22 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 3.4g 7 %
- Cholesterol 19mg 6 %
- Sodium 463mg 19 %
- Total Carbohydrates 70g 23 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 6 %
- Sugars 45g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This summer, how about using those ruby red tomatoes to bake up something a little unusual but a whole lot tasty? We call it Summer's Best Tomato Pie and it's so fresh and creamy, you're gonna have a hard time stopping at one slice. With tomatoes being such a great summer food buy, you may want to bake one for a friend, too!