Villa Valenti's Eggplant Rollatini
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- SERVING SIZE
- 2 roll-ups per serving
- COOK TIME
- 1 Hr
Mr. Food and his family enjoyed this dish at their favorite Italian restaurant in their hometown for years. Emma Valenti sure was gracious about sharing her recipe with us and, since we can't duplicate her homemade sauce, we've simplified it for you.
What You'll Need
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 cups Italian-flavored bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 medium eggplant, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices (about 16 slices total)
- 1 (26-ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, divided
- 1 (32-ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a shallow dish; beat well. Place bread crumbs in another shallow dish. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons oil.
- Meanwhile, dip eggplant slices in egg mixture then coat completely with bread crumbs. Place coated eggplant slices in skillet a few at a time and cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden, adding more oil as needed. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter.
- Reserve 1 cup spaghetti sauce and pour remaining sauce over the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, the Parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and remaining salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Place eggplant on a work surface and spread 1/4 cup ricotta cheese mixture over the top of each. Roll up jelly-roll fashion and place seam-side down in baking dish. Pour reserved 1 cup spaghetti sauce over eggplant rolls.
- Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until ricotta mixture oozes out of eggplant. Sprinkle with remaining 1 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 to 7 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
Check This Out!
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 643
- Calories from Fat 370
- Total Fat 41g 63 %
- Saturated Fat 17g 86 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 30g 59 %
- Cholesterol 179mg 60 %
- Sodium 1,535mg 64 %
- Total Carbohydrates 40g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 5.0g 20 %
- Sugars 10g 0 %