Classic Fried Chicken
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you like fried chicken that has real crunch and lots of flavor, then this recipe for Classic Fried Chicken is right up your alley. We give our chicken a buttermilk bath to make it extra-moist and flavorful, and coat it twice before frying it up so it's super crunchy. The results? The perfect, classic fried chicken.
What You'll Need
- 1 (3- to 3-1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups vegetable shortening
What to Do
- Place chicken in a large bowl and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and soak chicken 20 minutes.
- In a shallow dish, combine flour, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and black pepper; mix well. Place buttermilk in another shallow dish.
- Remove chicken from water and dip in flour mixture, coating completely. Dip chicken in buttermilk then in flour mixture again, coating all sides.
Check This Out!
- Make sure you round off the meal with our Award-Winning Mashed Potatoes and these Perfect Peas!
- For more fried chicken recipes you'll love, try our Crispy Crunchy Fried Chicken or our Buttermilk Fried Chicken.
- We've got more easy chicken dinner options right here! Check out our collection of Amazing Chicken Wing Recipes, or our Simple Chicken Drumstick Recipes.
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 1,442
- Calories from Fat 938
- Total Fat 104g 160 %
- Saturated Fat 36g 180 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 71g 141 %
- Cholesterol 288mg 96 %
- Sodium 1,729mg 72 %
- Total Carbohydrates 50g 17 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.9g 8 %
- Sugars 1.7g 0 %