Easy Chicken Fricassee
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
One of the few main dishes that First Lady Mary Todd Lincoln could get her husband, President Abe Lincoln, to eat was Chicken Fricassee. So, in honor of one of history's picky eaters, we're offering up a version of this hearty chicken dish that just might have won his seal of approval. This Easy Chicken Fricassee is sure to be a hit with your family!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 (2-1/2- to 3-pound) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 1 (10 -ounce) can cream of celery soup
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped (about 1-1/4 cups)
What to Do
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown chicken pieces on both sides, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove chicken to a platter and drain all but 2 tablespoons liquid from pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together soup, milk, lemon juice, thyme, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Reheat pan drippings over medium-high heat and add onions and carrots; saute 3 to 4 minutes, or until onions are soft.
- Return chicken to skillet, pour soup mixture over chicken, and cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer about 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove bay leaf before serving.
- We like to serve our Easy Chicken Fricassee over cooked rice or noodles.
- Like this chicken recipe? Then you'll love our collection of 14 Tasty Quick and Easy Chicken Recipes!
- Did You Know?: Chicken fricassee is considered one of the earliest forms of fried chicken. The French word "fricassee" is said to have come from the French words for "fry" and "break into pieces." Although this stew-like dish may have a French name, it's enjoyed by many different people around the world.
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our Farmer's Dressing is a creamy, easy-to-make homemade salad dressing that is sure to take your salad to the next level. Filled with delicious cucumbers and a simple spice blend, our Farmer's Dressing will be a delight to drizzle over your salad, whether it's at the potluck or around the dinner table.