We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've walked down the snack aisle of any grocery store over the last 85+ years, you've probably seen Twinkies. (Hey, you've probably even tried them too!) We've recreated this favorite American snack, but with a twist! Our Twinkie Cupcakes feature light, yellow cake, filled with a delicious filling and frosting combo. You're going to love them!
What You'll Need
- 1 (15.25 oz) package yellow cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat 16 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg whites, water, vanilla, and lemon peel; mix well. Divide mixture equally into muffins cups.
- Bake 15 to 17 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick comes out clean. Let cool. Using an apple corer or paring knife, cut a hole in center of each cupcake, being sure not to cut all the way through to bottom; remove center.
- To make the frosting, in another large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat confectioners' sugar and shortening until creamy, then beat in the heavy cream until smooth and fluffy.
- Place frosting in a pastry bag or large resealable plastic bag with the corner snipped off. Fill cupcake holes evenly with frosting, then continue to pipe frosting on top of cupcake.
- These taste better at room temperature, so if they've been refrigerated, allow them to return to room temperature before serving.
- If you enjoyed this recipe, be sure to check out our free eCookbook, Fast & Fun Cupcakes: 18 Best Cupcake Recipes.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Calories 356
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 18g 27 %
- Saturated Fat 6.8g 34 %
- Trans Fat 0.0 0 %
- Protein 2.2g 4 %
- Cholesterol 14mg 5 %
- Sodium 194mg 8 %
- Total Carbohydrates 48g 16 %
- Dietary Fiber 0.3g 1 %
- Sugars 37g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When the heat of summer has us turning away from comfort foods, we like to turn to recipes like this Chilled Beefed-Up Summer Salad. And, since salad is only as good as the dressing that goes on it, you can bet we've paired this beefy summer salad with the perfect, homemade, creamy horseradish dressing to make this extra mm..mm..tasty!