Southern Fish and Chips
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Southern Fish and Chips is our take on a traditional British favorite. We bread our catfish fillets in a kickin' seasoned mixture, and serve them with a side of sweet potato fries for a truly Southern eating experience.
What You'll Need
- 4 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick strips
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons parsley
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 pounds catfish fillets
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes and oil; toss to coat completely. Spoon potatoes onto rimmed baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Turn potatoes over and bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until golden.
- Meanwhile, in a shallow dish, whisk together the eggs, sour cream, 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; beat well. In another shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, the remaining cayenne pepper, the parsley, and remaining salt; mix well.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Dip catfish in egg mixture then in the cornmeal mixture, coating completely.
- Cook catfish in batches 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until the coating is golden and the fish flakes easily with a fork. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately with chips.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Here's an all-in-one skillet meal that your family is sure to love! Our All-in-One Sausage Dinner is made with your favorite Italian sausage, along with some veggies, and yummy egg noodles. Everything cooks together in a homemade sour cream sauce for extra-goodness. And it only takes about 30 minutes!