How to Cook Perfect Rice Every Time
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
It’s a side staple that appears at so many of our tables, and while it may not be the star at dinner, it’s certainly a supporting act. However, we don’t want a side to weigh down main entrée, so here’s some tips from the USA Rice Federation to make your rice as light as can be—creating the perfect go-along.
Leave room: Keep in mind that rice triples in volume when cooked. So make sure whatever you cook it in has plenty of room.
Baking rice: If you’re baking rice in the oven, boiling water should be used to start the cooking process.
Stovetop Cooking: If you want the grains to be more separated, then sauté the rice in a little butter or margarine before you add any liquid to the pan.
Don’t stir: Also, resist the urge to stir the rice while it cooks. Stirring releases starches and makes rice sticky.
Keep it covered: Keep the lid on tight to prevent steam from escaping while cooking rice. This releases heat, which can affect the cooking process.
- Getting fluffy: Once it’s cooked, fluff the rice with a fork or slotted spoon, these are better than a solid spoon because they allow steam to escape and help separate the grains of rice.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Everyone wants to feel a little special during the holiday. An easy--and tasty--way to do that is to shake up Christmas dinner with our Lemon-Rosemary Roasted Cornish Hens! Once you roast up these tender hens, you can serve everyone their own perfectly-sized main dish! It'll be the juiciest and most flavorful Christmas dinner the family has ever had.
- How to Make a Gingerbread House
- How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- Types of Corn and How to Choose Corn
- Sizing Up a Serving and a Portion
- 20 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies
- How to Make Candied Pecans
- How to Build the Perfect Cheese Board
- Dynamite Dip Tips
- Table Setting 101