Smart Tips for the Fish Counter
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Fish is a smart option for quick and nutritious dinners. There are loads of fish choices, and being an informed shopper is a must. Want to reel in the best buys at the fish counter? Check out our top tips!
What to Do
- Selection Tips: Fresh fish should smell like the ocean. Any odd or strong odors should be an immediate red flag to pass it by. No matter what type of fish you’re choosing, look for bright, almost translucent, color and moist, firm flesh that springs back when touched. If you prefer whole fish, look for clear, bright eyes and bright red gills, a clean belly cavity, scales that are tightly adhered to the skin and, again, firm flesh that springs back.
- Buy On Sale: Filleted or boneless fish is pricier than fish with skin and bones, but the advantage is there’s no waste or worry about the bones (although, be careful, 'cause a few can always slip by).
- Last Stop: For the sake of food safety, this should be one of your last stops before heading to the check-out counter. Your selections should be kept cold, so it’s a good idea to ask to have them packed on ice for your trip home – especially during warm weather.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Our festive Sugar 'n' Spice Nuts are the perfect combo of salty and sweet for the holidays. Made with a variety of your favorite nuts, the sweetness of dried cranberries, and just enough cayenne to give it a good kick, this recipe is sure to disappear by the handful! And, not only is it a great snack when family visits during Christmas, but it's also the perfect goodie to send in the mail, for those who can't be with you this season.
- How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
- Sizing Up a Serving and a Portion
- How to Make a Gingerbread House
- 20 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies
- How to Build the Perfect Cheese Board
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- Cake Baking Secrets: Tips & Tricks for Baking Flawless Cakes
- Make Ahead Casserole Tips
- How to Fix Thanksgiving Dinner Mistakes
- Tips to Cool Down Hot Peppers