Substitutions Save the Day
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
It's happened to most of us -- we've started making a recipe only to find that we're missing or low on an ingredient. Well, the next time that happens, you'll be prepared with these helpers:
Baking powder, 1 teaspoon = 1/2 teaspoon baking soda + 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
Broth (chicken or beef), 1 cup = 1 bouillon cube plus 1 cup water
Buttermilk, 1 cup = 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice
Chocolate, unsweetened, 1 square (1 ounce) = 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 tablespoon shortening or vegetable cooking oil
Cornstarch, 1 teaspoon = 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
Corn syrup, light, 1 cup = 1-1/4 cups granulated sugar + 1/4 cup water
Cream or half-and-half, 1 cup = 1-1/2 tablespoons melted butter + enough whole milk to equal 1 cup OR 1/2 cup light cream + 1/2 cup whole milk
Flour, all-purpose, 1 cup = 1 cup + 2 tablespoons cake flour
Flour, self-rising, 1 cup = 1 cup all-purpose flour plus 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt
Garlic, 1 clove (1/2 teaspoon chopped) = 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic OR 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
Gravy = Similar flavor of ready-made soup
Lemon juice, 1 tablespoon = 1/2 tablespoon white vinegar
Mayonnaise = Creamy salad dressing
Milk, whole, 1 cup = 1 cup skim milk + 2 tablespoons butter OR 1/2 cup evaporated whole milk + 1/2 cup water
Mustard, dry (in cooking), 1 teaspoon = 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- Sour cream, 1 cup = 1 cup plain yogurt OR 1 tablespoon lemon juice + enough evaporated or plain milk to equal 1 cup
Tomato juice, 1 cup = 1/2 cup tomato sauce + 1/2 cup water
Vegetable oil (for cooking), 1 cup = 1/2 pound butter or margarine
Vinegar, 1 tablespoon = 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Wine, 1 cup = 1 cup apple juice or cider, chicken or beef broth
Now, if you don't have the exact ingredient called for in a recipe you're making, you'll be able to make a quick substitution that'll still have everybody saying... "OOH IT'S SO GOOD!!"
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
- Table Setting 101
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- How to Doctor Up Store-Bought Stuffing
- How to Make a Gingerbread House
- Types of Onions and How to Choose the Right Onion
- Types of Corn and How to Choose Corn
- How to Build the Perfect Cheese Board
- How to Bake a Perfect Cheesecake
- How to Make a Puff Pastry Braid