Watermelon: Enjoy It All Year Long - 30 Easy Watermelon Recipes from Mr. Food Free eCookbook
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This simple and clever idea will get your group talking! And our Watermelon Keg doesn't only look amazing -- it's a great way to serve a cool drink!
What You'll Need
- 1 medium to large oval or oblong watermelon, rinsed and patted dry
- 1 green dry erase marker or 3/4- 1-inch painter's trim tape
- 1 channel knife (can use top of a vegetable peeler)
- 1 apple corer
- 1 spigot (from a beer-making supply company)
- Twine and straight pins
What to Do
- On a cutting board, place watermelon on its side and cut off 1/4- 1/2-inch from both ends, being careful not to cut too deep into white part of rind. One end will provide a sturdy base.
- Use dry erase marker or tape to make a thick band on upper third and lower third of watermelon, to represent the metal bands around a barrel or keg, and use the channel knife to trim away a thin line to represent those metal bands.
- Hollow out watermelon with a spoon or scoop, reserving watermelon pieces for another use. Be sure to leave about 2 inches of watermelon flesh towards bottom of watermelon so spigot can be placed.
- Use an apple corer to cut a circle for the spigot to fit through the watermelon rind; place it 2 to 3 inches above bottom of watermelon. Screw spigot into place.
- For added detail, carefully pin twine in lines representing metal bands around barrel. Be careful that pins don't poke through barrel.
- Place barrel on a plate and fill as desired.
Fill with your favorite chilled punch or juice, spiked or not -- it's up to you!
- For more cool and clever ideas like this one, click here.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
- Table Setting 101
- How to Make Candy: 12 Easy Chocolate Candy Recipes
- How to Freeze a Casserole
- Cake Baking Secrets: Tips & Tricks for Baking Flawless Cakes
- Easy Recipes for College Students
- How to Plan a Perfect Buffet
- Types of Onions and How to Choose the Right Onion
- How to Use Your Slow Cooker: Tips & Tricks for Your Best Meals Yet
- 20 Tips for Baking Perfect Cookies
- When in Doubt, Throw it Out!