Fried Cornmeal Mush
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 8 slices
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 20 Min
This old-fashioned recipe for Fried Cornmeal Mush is one that won't ever go out of style. Most Midwesterners will tell you it's one of their go-to breakfast staples, while some folks will say it makes a tasty side dish! However you eat it, there's no denying it's gooood.
What You'll Need
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup bacon bits
- maple syrup for drizzling
What to Do
- Coat an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil over medium heat. Gradually stir in cornmeal, cold water, sugar, and salt; cook until thick. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into loaf pan, cool, and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Invert onto board and cut into 1-inch slices.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and fry cornmeal slices for 8-10 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Sprinkle with bacon bits and drizzle with maple syrup.
- Wake Up Air Fryer Avocado Boats
- Shortcut Fruit "Crepes"
- Strawberry Cheesecake Breakfast Rollups
- Rise & Shine Cinnamon Buns
- Fun-to-Share Breakfast Nachos
- Blueberry and Orange Yogurt Parfaits
- Breakfast Pita Pockets
- Easy Ham and Cheese Quiche
- Sunshine Breakfast Muffin Cups
- 24 Incredible Mother's Day Brunch Ideas