Chocolate Creme Caramel
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- CHILL TIME
- 1 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 45 Min
The cocoa powder in this custard dessert puts this traditional favorite into a class all of its own! You're going to love digging your spoon into the soft chocolate caramel layers of this Chocolate Creme Caramel.
What You'll Need
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sweetened cocoa powder or hot chocolate mix
- 2 cups milk
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a small nonstick skillet over medium heat, stir 1/2 cup sugar about 6 minutes, or until completely melted and caramel-colored. Immediately pour melted sugar into a 9-inch glass pie plate, completely coating bottom of pie plate. Be careful when working with the heated sugar; it is very hot.
- In a medium bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed, beat eggs and vanilla.
- In a small bowl, combine cocoa and remaining sugar; mix well with a spoon. Stir in milk, then beat into egg mixture. Pour over caramelized sugar, then place pie plate into a pan of hot water, with just enough water to go about halfway up the sides of the pie plate, being careful not to pour water into the pie plate.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes. or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Carefully remove pie plate from water and let cool 20 minutes, then cover and chill at least 1 hour before serving. Just before serving, run a table knife around the inside edge of the pie plate to loosen the custard. Carefully invert onto a 10- to 12-inch rimmed serving plate, so that the caramel sauce doesn't run off the plate (see Note). Serve each wedge with some of the caramel sauce.
The best way to remove the crème caramel from the pie plate: place the serving plate upside down over the top of the pie plate and, holding the two together tightly, turn them over quickly, then slowly remove the pie plate.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
We put a shortcut twist on the time-honored recipe for Amish Friendship Bread. Instead of passing around a starter, our Amish Friendship Bread recipe makes enough for two loaves, so you can just call your friends and invite them over to enjoy the finished product!