Grilled Romaine Salad
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Grilled salad recipes give the dish a unique, smoky flavor that make eating a regular green salad seem like a thing of the past. Our Grilled Romaine Salad is perfect for summer BBQs or backyard get-togethers, especially if you have a few vegetarians you need to feed. Whether you're serving these up as an appetizer or as a light main course, you can bet that everyone in your group is going to love how tasty salad can be on the grill.
What You'll Need
- 4 romaine lettuce bunches
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Butter-Chive Dressing (see note)
- 1/2 cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
What to Do
- Pull off tough outer leaves of romaine bunches, and discard; cut bunches in half lengthwise, keeping leaves intact. Peel onion, and cut in half vertically, keeping core (root end and top) intact. Cut each half into 4 wedges. Brush lettuce and onion evenly with olive oil.
- Coat cold grill rack evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Preheat the grill to medium heat (300 degrees to 350 degrees). Grill onion wedges, covered, 3 to 4 minutes on each side or to desired degrees of doneness. Remove onion wedges from grill.
- Place romaine halves cut-sides down on grill. Grill, uncovered, 2 to 3 minutes or just until wilted.
- Divided grilled lettuce cut-sides up evenly among serving plates. Top each with 1 onion wedges (separate into slices, if desired), and drizzle with dressing. Sprinkle evenly with shaved Parmesan cheese and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
For the Buttermilk-Chive Dressing, stir together 1-1/4 cups of refrigerated Ranch dressing with 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh chives. Store dressing in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Makes 1-1/4 cups.