Watermelon Mozzarella Caprese
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Refreshing watermelon slices take the novel tasty place of tomatoes in this Watermelon Mozzarella Caprese. The additional flavors from caramelized onions and Balsamic vinegar make this one a stand-out!
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup extra dry vermouth
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 pound fresh water packed mozzarella, sliced into 15 slices
- 15 (2-1/2 x 2-1/2-inch) slices seedless watermelon, 1/2-inch thick
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
What to Do
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Add onions and saute about 5 minutes until onions are golden in color. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add vermouth and sugar to pan and simmer until most of the liquid has evaporated from pan. Stir in balsamic vinegar and saute another few minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool. Alternate slices of cheese and watermelon on a serving platter or up to 4 individual salad plates. Spoon onion mixture over watermelon and mozzarella slices. Garnish with fresh basil.
Adapted from the National Watermelon Promotion Board
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 5
- Calories 567
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 34g 52 %
- Saturated Fat 16g 78 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 23g 46 %
- Cholesterol 81mg 27 %
- Sodium 387mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 40g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9 %
- Sugars 32g 0 %