Southern Johnny Cakes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Originally known as "journey cakes" or "hoecakes" this classic favorite was so named for its long-keeping qualities. We'd like to think our Southern Johnny Cakes keep just as long, but we wouldn't know since we just gobble 'em up soon as they're ready!
What You'll Need
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup hot reduced fat milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
What to Do
- In a large bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Stir in the eggs, milk, vanilla, and butter. Don't overmix!
- Heat a griddle over medium-high heat about 2 minutes. Coat with cooking spray.
- Drop 1/4 cup batter per pancake on hot griddle. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Repeat with remaining batter.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
No game day bash is complete without a platter stacked high with chicken wings, and our recipe for Lemon Pepper Chicken Wings is a flavor-packed winner. Coated with a to-die-for lemon pepper sauce, these homemade chicken wings are like nothing you've ever had before.
- Banana Pancakes with Golden Banana Syrup
- Mother's Day Hash Brown Waffle Supreme
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancakes
- Jolly French Toast Bake
- Baked Apple Pancake
- Mexican French Toast
- Peanut Butter & Banana French Toast Bake
- Pumpkin Patch Pancakes
- Maple French Toast Sticks
- Disappearing Stuffed French Toast