Home-Cooked Spaghetti Sauce
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
A must in every Italian kitchen is a good tomato sauce. With crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, chopped garlic, onion and bell pepper, this one fits the bill. Serve it up with all your favorite pastas, and your whole family will be pleased.
What You'll Need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons sugar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
In a large pot, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion, and green pepper and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion and pepper are tender, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, or until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- For added flavor, add 2 teaspoons dried oregano along with the other ingredients. Since this makes a lot of sauce, be sure to refrigerate (for up to 1 week) or freeze any leftovers in airtight containers.
- For easy Italian recipes you will make again and again, we've compiled this collection of 35 No-Fail Italian Favorites, Plus 7 Classic Sauces you can make at home!
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You won't need a passport for our Tuscan Chicken One Pot. The heavenly aroma and succulent taste will make you feel like you're sitting at sidewalk bistro in Tuscany. It's the marinara sauce and white wine that really takes this easy chicken dinner recipe to the next level. And one pot recipes are known for their easy clean up, so it really will seem like a vacation in your very own home!