Sunday Pranzo Sauce with Meatballs
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This is authentic Italian. It was served every Sunday afternoon, without fail, at my friend's house. (Oh, how I looked forward to being invited over!)
What You'll Need
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/4 cup plus 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 3 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon black pepper, divided
- 3/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder, divided
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 cups olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1 pound Italian sausage links
- 3 cans (28 ounces each) crushed tomatoes
- 42 ounces water (fill a crushed tomato can 1-1/2 times)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
What to Do
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, 1/4 cup parsley, eggs, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, bread crumbs 1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder and Parmesan cheese. Form the mixture into about 12 medium-sized meatballs and set aside.
In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat; saute the garlic, sausage, and meatballs and continue cooking until the meat is golden brown, firm, and cooked through, about 20 minutes. Remove the cooked meat from pot and set aside.
Remove the pot from the stove and allow to cool slightly to avoid splattering, then add remaining parsley, salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then add crushed tomatoes, water, and oregano; mix thoroughly.
Simmer over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Return the meat to the pot and simmer for 1 to 2 hours more, stirring occasionally.
Makes 10 cups
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.