We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Whether you use this as an appetizer or as a main course, you'll be sure to hear "It's so colorful!" followed quickly by "And it tastes as good as it looks!!"
What You'll Need
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) whole tomatoes with juice, broken up, or 3 cups peeled and chopped fresh tomatoes
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 pound penne or other tubular pasta shape
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling (optional)
What to Do
- In a large skillet, heat the 1/4 cup of olive oil over medium heat; add the onion and saut until tender (do not brown). Add the garlic and saut for 1 minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes; reduce the heat to medium low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 25 minutes. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook the pasta to desired doneness; drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Stir the 1 tablespoon of olive oil into the sauce, then pour the sauce over the pasta. Add the basil and toss to blend.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired, and serve.