We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you've ever been to Turkey, then you've heard of baklava. If you haven't, then you're about to find out what all the fuss is about. We stack sweet and nutty layers one by one, then drench them in a sticky honey-butter mixture that makes our Classic Baklava lick-your-fingers delicious. Oh yeah, it's that good.
What You'll Need
- 3 cups chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) butter, melted
- 1/2 of (16 ounce) package frozen phyllo dough, thawed
- Syrup Ingredients:
- 1/2 stick (1/4 cup) butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine walnuts, 1/4 cup sugar, and the cinnamon; set aside. Brush a thin layer of melted butter over the bottom of a 9- x 13-inch baking dish.
- Carefully unroll the phyllo sheets onto a flat work surface. Remove one sheet of phyllo dough and place it on the bottom of the baking dish; trimming edges if necessary to fit baking dish. Brush the top of the phyllo lightly with butter. Repeat with 6 more sheets of phyllo, brushing each with butter. Evenly sprinkle half the nut mixture over the phyllo dough. Place a sheet of phyllo on top of nuts, and lightly brush with butter. Repeat 4 more times. Evenly sprinkle the remaining nut mixture on the phyllo, then repeat layering with 7 more sheets of phyllo and butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the unbaked baklava on the diagonal in a diamond pattern and bake 40 to 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine syrup ingredients. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Carefully pour the mixture evenly over all the baklava. Let sit for 2 to 4 hours or until completely cooled before serving.
Remember to keep the phyllo sheets covered with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out while working with them.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Experience some of your favorite Mediterranean flavors with our recipe for Mediterranean Kale Bread. This moist, homemade bread is full of the flavorful tastes of olive oil and feta cheese, making it a super company-fancy choice for your bread basket.