Skillet Pear Ginger Pie
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
You're going to want to get a cast iron skillet out for this amazing pie recipe. Not only does it look great, but the combination of pear, ginger, and other spices is out-of-this-world delicious! We're so glad that author, Sherry Gore, shared her Skillet Pear Ginger Pie recipe with us from her "Me, Myself, and Pie" cookbook.
What You'll Need
- 2 (9-inch) unbaked pie crusts
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons heavy cream, divided
- 7 to 8 Bartlett pears, peeled and sliced
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar
- Vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Caramel sauce (optional)
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lay 1 pie crust in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, salt, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Stir in lemon juice and 1 cup heavy cream. Add pear slices and toss to coat. Pour mixture into pie crust. Cover fruit mixture with top layer vented pie dough, lattice crust, or other decorative designed crust.
- In a small bowl, combine egg yolk with remaining heavy cream. Brush top of pie with mixture.
- Bake 40 minutes, or until pear mixture is bubbling and crust is golden.
- Let cool enough to set and serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, if desired.
- This recipe is from Sherry Gore's cookbook, Me, Myself, and Pie. To see more of the recipes from this cookbook, plus some great videos of Sherry in the Mr. Food Test Kitchen just click here!
- Once you're done making this Skillet Pear Ginger Pie, be sure to check out our page on How to Care for Cast Iron!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.