We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
- 8 slices
- CHILL TIME
- 2 Hr
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
Head into any supermarket in Pennsylvania Dutch country and you're sure to find this breakfast side dish classic. Our Amish Scrapple can be prepared a day ahead and fried up when you're craving something hearty and flavorful.
What You'll Need
- 1/2 pound ground pork breakfast sausage
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth or water
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon ground poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
What to Do
- Coat an 8- x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook sausage 5 to 7 minutes, or until browned, stirring occasionally. Drain fat.
- Add broth and milk and bring to a boil. Stir in remaining ingredients except butter and cook until thickened. Reduce heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into loaf pan, cool, and refrigerate at least 2 hours. Invert onto a board, and cut into 1-inch thick slices.
- In a skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat and fry cornmeal slices for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden brown on both sides.
We like to serve our Amish scrapple with a little brown gravy on top. We suggest making a homemade version, like our Back-to-Basics Brown Gravy!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 234
- Calories from Fat 128
- Total Fat 14g 22 %
- Saturated Fat 6.1g 30 %
- Trans Fat 0.3g 0 %
- Protein 7.2g 14 %
- Cholesterol 33mg 11 %
- Sodium 636mg 26 %
- Total Carbohydrates 20g 7 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.4g 5 %
- Sugars 3.2g 0 %