German Sauerkraut Potato Balls
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
In every region of Germany, folks love to sit down to homemade potato dumplings and sauerkraut, which is why we came up with this recipe that combines these two traditional German favorites. Our German Sauerkraut Potato Balls are full of comforting German-style flavors!
What You'll Need
- 4 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 (14-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 3 eggs, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1/3 cups plain breadcrumbs, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable oil
What to Do
- Place potatoes in a medium saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat and cook 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender; drain well and place in a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes until smooth; let cool 5 minutes. Add sauerkraut, onion, 1 egg, 1/2 cup flour, 1/3 cup breadcrumbs, the caraway seeds, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- In 3 separate shallow dishes, place remaining eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs.
- Form potato mixture into into 20 balls. Roll potato balls in flour, egg, and breadcrumbs, coating evenly on all sides.
- In a large pot over medium heat, heat oil until hot but not smoking. Fry potato balls in batches 2 to 4 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter. Serve immediately.
Check out our Sauerkraut Beer Brats -- they're delicious!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Calories 338
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28g 44 %
- Saturated Fat 4.5g 23 %
- Trans Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Protein 3.5g 7 %
- Cholesterol 28mg 9 %
- Sodium 381mg 16 %
- Total Carbohydrates 18g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.2g 9 %
- Sugars 1.5g 0 %
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've got a hungry family, but not a whole lot of time, then this Quick-as-a-Wink Pasta recipe is just what you need. In about 15 minutes you can whip up this flavorful dish that's loaded with sausage, peppers, and onions. Just wait till you take your first bite!