Lone Star Rice
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
We gave this recipe a little Southwestern flair by adding some Texas-inspired ingredients. Our Lone Star Rice is the perfect change-of-pace side dish to go with any of your favorite main dishes, like chicken or steak.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain or whole-grain rice, uncooked
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (16-ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup mild picante sauce
- 1/4 cup sliced scallion
What to Do
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat oil; sauté rice and garlic until rice is slightly browned.
- Add broth, cumin, and oregano and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes. Stir in beans and remove from heat.
- Let stand, covered, until liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Stir in picante sauce and scallions and serve.
- If you prefer, instead of the kidney beans you can use pinto or black beans, or even black-eyed peas.
- Be sure to check out even more tasty rice dishes like this in our FREE eCookbook, Red Carpet Rice Dishes: 28 Easy Rice Recipes for Everyone.