Old-Fashioned German Stuffing
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Are you looking for the perfect side dish to pair with your favorite pot roast or German sausages? Try our Old-Fashioned German Stuffing! This hot and hearty stuffing is loaded with fresh sauerkraut, crumbled bacon, and rye bread, so you know it's got an authentic taste!
What You'll Need
- 1 (1-pound) rye bread with seeds, stale or lightly toasted, and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 8 cups)
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 apple, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth, warmed
- 1 pound fresh sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 5 slices crispy cooked bacon, crumbled
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray. Place bread cubes in a large bowl; set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add celery, carrot, and onion and cook 5 minutes. Add apple, salt, and pepper and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Pour mixture over bread cubes. Add broth, sauerkraut, and bacon, and mix gently until well combined. Spoon stuffing into baking dish.
- Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through.
Most everyone has a favorite stuffing recipe. If you like to try different ones, here's one made in a Bundt pan!
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You're going to fall in love with this seasonal version of your favorite poke cake. Our Pumpkin Spice Poke Cake is perfect through-and-through. From the spiced cake to the vanilla pudding mix with added pumpkin pie spice, there's nothing but goodness in this easy dessert recipe.