Quick & Easy Potato Recipes: 30 Scrumptious Recipes for Breakfast Potatoes, Potato Side Dishes and More
Smashed Idaho Potatoes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Creamy, garlicky smashed Idaho potatoes and the welcome addition of parsnips make for a holiday worthy side that's easy enough to prepare and enjoy on a weeknight, too.
What You'll Need:
- 2 1/2 pounds Idaho potatoes, well scrubbed
- 1/2 pound parsnips
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 1 cup warmed low-fat milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked, chopped spinach (optional)
- Herbs for garnish
What To Do:
- Cut potatoes in four lengthwise and in four crosswise. Peel the parsnips and core (if necessary). Dice parsnips.
- In a large pot, add potatoes, parsnips, garlic, and coarse salt and fill with water to cover. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and cook 10 minutes, covered, or until potatoes are fork-tender.
- Drain potato mixture then return to the pot. Reduce heat to medium-low; hold the pot with oven mitts and shake roughly while on the heat for 2 minutes, to dry the potatoes.
- Remove from heat; mash with a potato masher, gradually adding warm milk. Keep smashing until mixture is at an even consistency. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in spinach, if desired.
- Garnish with herbs, if desired, such as chopped parsley, oregano, thyme, chives, or scallions.
For richer smashed potatoes, substitute light or heavy cream for the low-fat milk.
Here's an optional way to prepare this:
- Boil 1/2 pound peeled, cored, diced parsnips with 6 peeled garlic cloves for 8 minutes, or until tender. Puree in a food processor.
- Prepare dehydrated Idaho potato flakes to serve 10 and add in parnsip and garlic mixture. Adjust seasoning and garnish as desired.
We like to serve this with sour cream.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
If you've got a hungry family, but not a whole lot of time, then this Quick-as-a-Wink Pasta recipe is just what you need. In about 15 minutes you can whip up this flavorful dish that's loaded with sausage, peppers, and onions. Just wait till you take your first bite!