Steamin' Taters 'n' Beans
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Sometimes simple is best...like here we've got fresh green beans and red potatoes boiled up with a little salt pork. Steamin' Taters 'n' Beans is a Southern classic that combines great flavor with ease -- our favorite combo!
What You'll Need
- 1 (2-ounce) piece salt pork, (see note)
- 1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 small red potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut in half
- 2 teaspoons salt
What to Do
In a large pot, combine salt pork, green beans, and pepper with enough water to cover. Place potatoes on top and sprinkle with salt. Cover loosely and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 30 to 35 minutes, or until potatoes and beans are tender. Serve in bowls with broth.
- Three slices of raw bacon will work just as well as salt pork.
- In the South, they call the broth "pot liquor" and serve it with plenty of cornbread for dunking. Here's one of our yummy cornbread recipes for you to try!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Whether you've got friends coming over to watch a game, or you're just looking for an easy lunch or snack, these Buffalo Chicken Quesadillas are a real winner. Buffalo chicken makes for a tasty addition inside these cheesy quesadillas, and the celery adds a nice a crunch!