The Proof is in the Pudding: 20 Amazing Bread Pudding Recipes, Rice Pudding Recipes, & More
Miss Hudson's Banana Pudding
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This banana pudding recipe comes from Morgan Murphy's book, "Off the Eaten Path: Second Helpings." He says Miss Hudson's Banana Pudding is his favorite recipe from the book, and we couldn't agree more! We know you'll love this comforting dessert recipe.
What You'll Need
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 (11-ounce) box vanilla wafers
- 3 ripe bananas, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (3 cups)
- 4 egg whites
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
What to Do
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk together sugar and flour in a medium-size heavy saucepan. Gradually whisk in milk until blended. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk egg yolks until thick and pale. Gradually whisk about one-fourth of hot milk mixture into yolks; add yolk mixture to remaining hot milk mixture, whisking constantly. Pour into a clean saucepan. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat; stir in 2 tablespoons vanilla.
- Toss together vanilla wafers and banana slices in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish. Top with warm pudding.
- Beat egg whites at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (about 2 to 4 minutes). Beat in 1/8 teaspoon vanilla with the last tablespoon of sugar. Spread meringue over warm pudding, sealing to edges of dish. Bake at 400 degrees F. for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 30 minutes. Serve warm.
- Click here to watch some interviews with Howard and Morgan in the Test Kitchen!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Looking for a no-bake homemade dessert that's perfect to cool you off during the warmer weather months? Then have to try our Blueberry-Lemon Ice Cream Sandwiches! Not only will this fresh-tasting dessert keep your kitchen cool, but it's got some supermarket-shortcuts to make it less hassle too!