Tips for Gravy, Plus 5 Easy Turkey Gravy Recipes
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
A smooth, velvety homemade gravy is the perfect finishing touch for your holiday turkey. Not to mention your favorite mashed potatoes, stuffing, and so much more! Whether you're looking to make gravy with pan drippings from your turkey, or you want a simple something you can make ahead of time, these easy turkey gravy recipes are sure to please. Flavorful additions like white wine, portobello mushrooms, and bacon will make for gravy that's anything but boring. Or, why not start with our recipe for Classic Pan Gravy and then experiment with your own tastes? You may never buy jarred or packaged gravy again once you see how easy and delicious homemade gravy can be.
Tips for Luscious & Lump-Free Gravy:
1. Don't forget to skim the excess fat from the pan drippings. This is the clear, oily liquid that rises to the top.
2. Whisk flour as it cooks for at least two minutes to remove any starchiness from the gravy.
3. Warming the broth or liquid you're using before adding it to the flour mixture will help prevent lumps.
4. Always be sure to season with salt to taste.
5. If you do end up with lumps, you can strain your gravy through a colander or mesh strainer.
Test Kitchen Secrets:
1. If a recipe calls for you to skim off the fat from the pan drippings, and you do not have the amount that the recipe calls for, then add enough vegetable oil or melted butter to make up for the difference.
2. Add a drop or two of browning and seasoning liquid (like Kitchen Bouquet or Maggie) to the gravy to give it a richer, more traditional, color.
3. Add ingredients like chopped mushrooms or onions to your gravy after you thicken it. That way, if your gravy is lumpy, you can strain the lumps out without straining out the chopped additions that you desire.
Foolproof Turkey Gravy
This easy gravy comes together in just two steps, and because it doesn't require pan drippings, it's a great make-ahead. Not only is it simple, it's a delicious topping for your holiday turkey.
Portobello Mushroom Gravy
When plain gravy isn't good enough, go for this gravy that has the bonus of chopped sauteed portobello mushrooms. Our easy Portobello Mushroom Gravy is definitely no ordinary gravy.
Bacon Turkey Gravy
These days, bacon is so popular, and for good reason. Your holiday guests will love this flavorful Bacon Turkey Gravy, and they'll be surprised by your twist on traditional holiday gravy.
Creamy Tarragon Gravy
Usually gravy is just "there," but not this one. Uh uh! With its distinctive flavor of tarragon, our easy Creamy Tarragon Gravy gives plain roast turkey the flavor lift it needs to make it spectacular.
White Wine Gravy
When you want a gravy with a touch of elegance, go with this easy White Wine Gravy. A drizzle of this gravy will make any meal seem special.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
You don't have to warm up your kitchen to cook this hot and hearty meal! Our BBQ Pork Chops and Potatoes are made in your slow cooker, which makes this a great summertime recipe. This dish features juicy pork chops and plenty of potatoes cooked in your favorite barbecue sauce. It's a win no matter how you look at it!