Mussels Steamed in Wine
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
I love how the rich, butter sauce coats these fresh mussels. In fact, I always serve this recipe with plenty of French bread so I can sop up every drop of the sauce!
What You'll Need
- 5 dozen fresh mussels
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/2 cups dry white wine
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons butter
What to Do
- Remove beards from mussels, and scrub shells with a brush. Discard opened, cracked, or heavy mussels (they're filled with sand). Keep mussels chilled.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and next 4 ingredients; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in wine, and bring to a boil. Cook over medium-high heat 15 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 3/4 cup.
- Add mussels; cover and steam 4 minutes or until mussels open, shaking Dutch oven several times. Remove from heat; transfer mussels to a serving dish with a slotted spoon, discarding any unopened mussels. Set mussels aside, and keep warm.
- Place Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot; stir in lemon juice. Remove from heat; whisk in 3 tablespoons butter. Pour over mussels, and serve immediately.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.