Amish Beef Barley Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
The Pennsylvania Dutch people take advantage of their gardens whenever possible, and this easy version of a classic hearty Amish Beef Barley soup recipe is chock full of veggies for a healthy stick-to-your-ribs main dish soup. If you've been looking for a beef barley soup recipe that's made with good-for-you, down-home ingredients, then this is the easy soup recipe for you. Plus, you can pack up the leftovers to reheat the next day for lunch!
What You'll Need:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 carrots, coarsely diced
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, not drained
- 8 cups beef broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3/4 cup quick-cooking pearl barley
What To Do:
In a soup pot over high heat, heat oil. Add beef, onion, mushrooms, and carrots and sauté 6 to 8 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Add diced tomatoes including the liquid, beef broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low 30 minutes, or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add barley and simmer an additional 15 to 20 minutes, or until barley is tender. Serve immediately.
- This is great to serve after a bone-chilling barn-raising, or any day you could go for some real hardy soup-slurping goodness!
- For some great dunking, serve up this soup with our Parmesan Garlic Rolls.
- If you're looking for more soups like our Amish Beef Barley Soup recipe, check out our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes.
- Plus, if you're looking for more great Amish recipes, check out our free eCookbook, Welcome to Amish Country: 16 Easy Amish Recipes from Mr. Food.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
There's something about a buttery pretzel roll that always hits the spot. We've got a better-than-store-bought option for you in our Homemade Pretzel Rolls! These warm, buttery rolls are easy to make and will change any dinner menu or sandwich from ordinary to extraordinary. That's why we love them.