Beefy Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This beefed-up version of a classic onion soup gets its heartiness from beef chuck steak. Served with or without traditional cheesy-crusted French bread, it is company-fancy yet weeknight-easy!
What You'll Need
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 8 medium-sized onions, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound boneless beef chuck steak, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 4 cans (10-1/2 ounces each) condensed beef broth
What to Do
- Melt the butter in a 6-quart pressure cooker and add the onions; sprinkle with the salt and pepper and sauté over high heat for 10 to 12 minutes, uncovered, or until the onions are golden. Remove to a bowl and set aside.
- Add the beef and brown, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stir in the broth. Lock the lid in place and bring to full pressure over high heat. When the pressure regulator begins to rock, reduce the heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
- Cool the cooker at once by placing under cold running water until steam no longer escapes from the vent and the pressure is completely reduced.
- Remove the lid. Return the onions to the pot and heat over medium heat, uncovered, until the onions are warmed through.
Note: For an easy traditional cheese topping, place a slice of Swiss cheese on top of each of 4 to 6 slices of French bread and broil in a toaster oven until the cheese melts. Carefully place each piece of bread over a bowl of soup and serve immediately.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Enjoy a healthier-for-you breakfast with our recipe for Loaded Egg Clouds (also known as "cloud eggs"). The "cloud" in the name refers to the fluffy egg whites that surround the yolk. Our recipe also features tasty sausage crumbles, scallions, and pimentos. Serve these egg clouds alongside some toast and fresh fruit and you've got yourself a champion-style breakfast or brunch!