Country Kitchen Broccoli Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our Country Kitchen Broccoli Cheese Soup starts with an easy roux, just like a restaurant chef would make. And after you taste this creamy homemade soup and realize how easy it is to prepare, you'll never go out for homemade soup again.
What You'll Need:
- 5 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 2 broccoli heads, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) heavy cream
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
What To Do:
In a soup pot over high heat, combine broth, broccoli, onion, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, or until broccoli is tender.
Meanwhile, in a skillet over medium heat, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour, stirring continuously until golden.
- Slowly add the butter mixture to the soup, stirring until thickened; simmer 5 minutes. Slowly stir in heavy cream, mixing well. Add cheese, 1 cup at a time, mixing well after each addition, until cheese is melted.
- Serve the soup in bread bowls that you make by cutting a circle out of the top of kaiser rolls and hollowing them out. Ladle the soup into the bread bowls and garnish with additional shredded Cheddar cheese.
- For other hearty soup recipes that start with a roux, check out our Cream of Leek Soup, our Brie Mushroom Soup, and our Cauliflower Cheese Soup.
- If you liked this broccoli cheese soup recipe, be sure to check out all of our cheesy favorites in The Cheese Lover's eCookbook: 34 Easy Recipes with Cheese.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Mom's Go-To Weeknight Goulash is super easy and budget-friendly, making it a great weeknight dinner recipe! This family-friendly dinner is made with ground beef, elbow macaroni, a couple of veggies and your family's favorite spaghetti sauce. Everything cooks together in one skillet, and, right before it's served, it's topped with some yummy cheese. The results are delicious!