French Onion Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
There's a secret ingredient in this easy French Onion Soup that will surprise you. We took one bite of this rich, beefy, cheesy soup and said, as the French do, "oo-la-la!" When dinner is this internationally fancy, there's no reason to wait; try it for yourself and see why this is one of the most popular onion soup recipes we have ever shared!
What You'll Need
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 large onions, thinly sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup dry red wine
- 4 (1-inch) slices French bread, toasted
- 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onions and cook 25 minutes, or until golden, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef broth, apple cider, and black pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, stir in Parmesan cheese and wine, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted and soup is heated through.
- Preheat broiler. Place bread on a baking sheet and sprinkle with equal amounts of the Swiss cheese. Broil 3 to 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Pour soup into bowls and top each with a slice of toasted cheese bread; serve.
Check This Out!
- We've got loads of great soup recipes on our website. How about trying our 4 Bean Minestrone or Potato Cheese Soup next time you want to stir up a pot of soup!
- For more onion recipes, make our California Onion Dip or our Caramelized Onion Pizza.
- Let's make something French! Try these easy recipes for Beef Bourguignon and our Bananas Foster.