Jaime's Mom's Chicken Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
This recipe comes from one of the members of the Mr. Food Test Kitchen. When Jaime learned how to make this recipe, taught to her by her mother, Jaime's mom said to measure the Kosher salt by pouring it into the palms of her hand. The rule was that any salt that stuck to her hand could not go to the soup. Jaime's Mom's Chicken Soup has that homemade touch we love.
What You'll Need
- 4 quarts water
- 1 (4- to 4-1/2-pound) chicken, skin on
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 3 ribs celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, skin removed but not root end
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 turnip, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
What to Do
- In a large soup pot, place water and chicken and bring to a boil. Boil 10 to 15 minutes, skimming foam that forms on top. Add remaining ingredients and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer about 1-1/2 hours, or until chicken meat falls off the bones.
- Cool slightly, then separate chicken from bones, discarding bones. Return chicken to soup. Remove onion and discard. Serve hot.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Calories 39
- Calories from Fat 1.9
- Total Fat 0.2g 0 %
- Saturated Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 1.0g 2 %
- Cholesterol 0.0mg 0 %
- Sodium 544mg 23 %
- Total Carbohydrates 9.0g 3 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.5g 10 %
- Sugars 4.0g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Say hello to Your Family's Favorite Meatloaf recipe! Unlike other meatloaves that are sort of dry and tasteless, this one is super juicy and packed with flavor inside and out. And the combo of the bacon and the glaze makes this truly irresistible.