Lighter Chicken & Wild Rice Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
If you like thick 'n' hearty soups, then you'll love this Lighter Chicken & Wild Rice Soup. It's full of chicken, veggies, and wild rice, so it's sure to fill ya up. And because it's made with some lighter ingredients, you don't have to worry about too many extra calories!
What You'll Need
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 6 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup brown and wild rice, uncooked
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken
- 1 cup fat-free half-and-half
- salt & pepper to taste
What to Do
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, add celery, carrots, onion, garlic, and 1/2 cup chicken broth. Saute 8 to 10 minutes, or until onion is translucent and vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Sprinkle in flour and continue to stir about 3 minutes.
- Add remaining 6 cups broth, along with rice, thyme and bay leaves; bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 25 to 30 minutes, or until rice is tender. Add chicken and cook an additional 10 minutes. Stir in half-and-half, and cook 10 minutes more.
- Remove bay leaves, season with salt and pepper, and serve.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 272
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.3g 7 %
- Saturated Fat 1.4g 7 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 26g 51 %
- Cholesterol 42mg 14 %
- Sodium 181mg 8 %
- Total Carbohydrates 34g 11 %
- Dietary Fiber 3.0g 12 %
- Sugars 5.0g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
This easy yet elegant version of prime rib will rival anything you can find at the fanciest restaurant. Our Test Kitchen made sure that this one is low on work and high on good taste. Perfect for holiday entertaining or enjoying all year long.