Potato Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Rich-as-can-be Potato Cheese Soup is a classic restaurant favorite that we can easily simmer on our stovetop. With a stick-to-your-ribs thick and hearty potato soup like this, it's easy to ladle up a satisfying meal chock-full of comfort.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus additional to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
What to Do
- In a soup pot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add celery and onion, and saute 5 to 7 minutes, or until tender.
- Add chicken broth, potatoes, and vinegar; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add flour, milk, salt, and pepper; cook until soup is thickened and heated through, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Taste for salt, adding more if necessary. Serve immediately.
- Because salt levels vary depending on the type of chicken broth you use, you may want to taste for salt when you've finished cooking the soup.
- To serve this hearty soup restaurant-style, top with bacon bits, sliced scallions, and additional shredded cheese.
- Check out even more favorite soups with our free eCookbook, Comfort Food for the Soul: 40 of Our Best Stews and Easy Soup Recipes.
- Plus, pair this easy Potato Cheese Soup recipe with our Garlic Cheddar Biscuits for an extra dose of cheesy fun!
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Calories 582
- Calories from Fat 253
- Total Fat 28g 43 %
- Saturated Fat 18g 88 %
- Trans Fat 0.4g 0 %
- Protein 25g 50 %
- Cholesterol 87mg 29 %
- Sodium 1,034mg 43 %
- Total Carbohydrates 59g 20 %
- Dietary Fiber 7.4g 30 %
- Sugars 12g 0 %
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
When you're craving something fresh-tasting and satisfying, fill your plate up with our Italian Spring Fling Pasta. This angel hair pasta dish features some great springtime flavors. One whiff of this is all it'll take to get your family to the dinner table.