The Originators of Quick & Easy Cooking!
Creamy Potato & Cheese Soup
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Click here to view your Recipe Box.
- 7 cups
- COOK TIME
- 25 Min
One of the reasons we love this creamy potato soup recipe, well, besides the fact that it's fill-you-up good, is because we can change up the variety of cheese every time we make it. That way, this ooey gooey Creamy Potato & Cheese Soup ends up with a new personality that you're going to love every time! Try a bunch of your favorite cheeses and let us know which one you like the best.
What You'll Need
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 3 large Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Smoked Gouda with Bacon
What to Do
- In a soup pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add celery and onion; sauté 5 to 7 minutes or until tender.
- Add broth, potatoes, and vinegar; cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, pepper, and milk, whisking until smooth. Stir flour mixture into soup and cook until soup is heated through and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese and stir until melted. Now it’s time to ladle this up.
Recipes by the Spoonful: Now that spoon-season is in, we know you're going to want to stock up on soup recipes you can make again and again. In this collection of soups, you'll find everything from classic chicken noodle to hearty minestrones, and even more like this creamy potato soup. Head on over and grab your favorites, and make sure your spoon is ready to go. 33 Sensational Soup Recipes
Mr. Food Test Kitchen Tip
- We tested this recipe with a selection of cheeses that our friends at Yancey's Fancy™ Cheese sent to us. We thought it was fun since they make the most outrageous flavored cheeses ever! So pick up a few varieties and see which one gives your soup the best personality to fit your mood.
If you love these recipes, then you'll love this FREE eCookbook!
We love comfort food, and we bet you do too. For more great recipes, download our free eCookbook.
What's Your Favorite Comforting Soup Recipe?
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 7
- Amount Per Serving % Daily Value *
- Calories 458
- Calories from Fat 218
- Total Fat 24g 37 %
- Saturated Fat 15g 76 %
- Trans Fat 0.1g 0 %
- Protein 23g 46 %
- Amount Per Serving % Daily Value *
- Cholesterol 91mg 30 %
- Sodium 900mg 38 %
- Total Carbohydrates 38g 13 %
- Dietary Fiber 2.5g 10 %
- Sugars 7.4g 0 %
Sep 24, 2018
Potato soup is such a versatile comfort food...and cheese just makes it better. I've never tried gouda before but I'm sure it's just as delicious as any other cheese. I'm not sure why I suppose it's just a texture thing for me, but I really like using baked potatoes with the skin on in my soup. I've always wondered though...what if gnocchi could be made into a potato/dumpling soup and butternut squash or carrots completed it. Sounds kinda weird...but in my mind, it works. LOL
- WAS THIS HELPFUL? YesNo
- REPORT ABUSE
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Lemon-Caper Fish Fillets
Did you know fish is the ultimate fast food? We're not talking about the stuff you get at a drive thru. These sunny-tasting fish fillets cooks up in just 8 minutes! You read that right. Our Lemon-Capers Fish Fillets combine lemon juice and the tangy flavor of capers to add just the right amount of "wow" to this easy dinner recipe!