Creole Black Eyed Peas
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Black-eyed peas (also known as cowpeas) are not really peas at all; they're black pigmented lentils. The custom of eating them on New Year's Day for luck dates back to the Egyptian pharaohs.
What You'll Need
- 1 pound smoked sausage, sliced
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 (15.5-ounce) cans fresh shelled black-eyed peas
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 ham-flavored bouillon cube
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley
What to Do
- Brown sausage in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from Dutch oven.
- Saute onions, bell pepper, and garlic in Dutch oven until tender.
- Stir in sausage, peas, and next 4 ingredients; cook until thoroughly heated, stirring often. Stir in parsley.
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.