Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Ever wonder how the restaurants make their onion rings so crispy-special? With our recipe for Crispy Buttermilk Onion Rings, you can too! Now, all you need to figure out is what you'll be dipping 'em into!
What You'll Need
- 2 Spanish-type onions
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 cup vegetable oil for frying
What to Do
- Peel onions and cut into 1/3-inch slices; separate into rings.
- Pour buttermilk into a large bowl; add onion rings and soak 30 minutes.
- In another large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, cayenne pepper, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, the lemon juice, egg, and water; stir until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 1-inch of oil until hot but not smoking. Remove onion rings from buttermilk and dip into batter mixture, then place in skillet and fry until golden brown, turning to brown evenly on both sides. Drain onion rings on paper towels.
- If your onions are small, use 4. These rings come out crunchiest when made in an electric skillet, because it's easier to keep the oil at a consistent temperature.
- Looking for more recipes with buttermilk? Our Best Buttermilk Recipes: 12 Recipes with Buttermilk can help you!
- The nutrition provided for this recipe is an estimate. The ingredients used for breading and frying were measured both at the beginning and end of the recipe process. Nutrition was calculated based on the amount of ingredients actually used and excludes any waste. Individual results may vary.
Nutritional InformationShow More
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Calories 206
- Calories from Fat 126
- Total Fat 14g 21 %
- Saturated Fat 2.2g 11 %
- Trans Fat 0.0g 0 %
- Protein 3.3g 7 %
- Cholesterol 27mg 9 %
- Sodium 435mg 18 %
- Total Carbohydrates 17g 6 %
- Dietary Fiber 1.1g 4 %
- Sugars 2.3g 0 %
Free recipes, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Report Inappropriate Comment
Are you sure you would like to report this comment? It will be flagged for our moderators to take action.
Thank you for taking the time to improve the content on our site.
LATEST TV RECIPE & VIDEO
Do you remember eating square pizza for lunch when you were back in school? We do! We're bringing back those memories one slice at a time with our recipe for School Lunch Square Pizza. Our version has a super crispy crust with lots of cheesy yumminess!