Down-Home Collard Greens
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Our slow cooker version of Down-Home Collard Greens are an old-time southern classic, that knows no boundaries. Enjoy as a flavorful go-along with any of your favorite main dishes. We love this one with crispy southern fried chicken!
What You'll Need
- 1 meaty smoked ham hock, rinsed
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped onion
- 1 (1-pound) package chopped fresh collard greens, tough stems removed
- 1 teaspoon prepared roasted minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 (14-ounce) cans seasoned chicken broth with roasted garlic
- 2 3/4 cups water
What to Do
- Place ham hock, carrot, and onion in a 6-quart oval slow cooker. Add collard greens. Sprinkle greens with garlic, crushed red pepper, and black pepper.
- Pour broth and water over collard greens, pressing greens down into liquid as much as possible with a large spoon.
- Cover and cook on LOW setting 9 hours. Remove greens to a serving dish with a slotted spoon or tongs. Remove meat from ham hock, discarding fat and bones; chop meat. Add to greens, tossing lightly to evenly distribute meat in greens. Ladle desired amount of pot liquor over greens.