Fresh Veggie Pita
We are adding the recipe to your Recipe Box.
This was added to your Recipe Box.
Fresh and simple, this garden veggie pocket is versatile enough for all year 'round. Enjoy it with a bowl of soup for a light dinner, or pack it in the lunch boxes on days when you're on the go?and when you're watching your waistline!
What You'll Need
- 2 large cucumbers, peeled, seeded, and finely chopped
- 1 (16-ounce) container plain yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepperr
- 1/2 of a head iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped
- 1 (6-ounce) package alfalfa sprouts
- 1 large tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 6 whole-wheat or regular pita breads, cut in half
What to Do
- In a medium bowl, combine the cucumbers, yogurt, sugar, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper; mix well.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients except the pita bread; mix well. Stuff the pita halves equally with the lettuce mixture then top with the cucumber sauce, and serve.
Did you know that pita bread is Middle Eastern flat bread? Now available in most U.S. supermarkets, pita bread has become very popular here. Pita rounds can be split horizontally to form a pocket for all types of sandwich ingredients, or cut into wedges for use as dippers.